Buttermilk Pancakes with Fresh Berries
Forget boxed pancake mixes! Homemade isn't difficult to make, and I think they are fluffier and better. If you don't have buttermilk, substitute with 1 cup milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white vinegar. Allow it to sit for a few minutes. If you do purchase buttermilk and have extra, freeze it in 1 cup containers or in Ziplock bags.
- Serving suggestions:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, plus some for frying
- 1 cup berries, your choice, fresh or frozen (we prefer blueberries or olallieberries)
- Whipped cream and maple syrup
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Beat the eggs with the buttermilk and melted butter.
Combine the dry and the wet ingredients into a lumpy batter, being careful not to over mix, see Cook's Note*.
Heat some butter in a skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet and sprinkle the top with some of the blueberries. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and maple syrup.
*Cook's Note: Over mixed batter will result in flat, heavy pancakes.
You'll also love
- Shrimp & Vegetable Stir Fry 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Lightened Up - Crustless Cottage... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Cornmeal Pancakes with Rasperry... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Cherry Filled Ableskiver 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Florence’s Buttermilk Pancakes 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Buttermilk Pancakes for Two 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
Review this recipe