Makeover White Christmas Cake
“I made this amazing cake for our annual Christmas dinner several years ago, and it quickly became a family favorite.” Anna Knauer - Robesonia, Pennsylvania
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans, toasted
- 1/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate until melted. Cool for 20 minutes. Line two 9-in. round baking pans with waxed paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the applesauce, extract and reserved chocolate mixture (batter will appear curdled). Combine the flours, baking powder and baking soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans and coconut.
Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
For frosting, in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and chocolate until blended. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving.
1 slice equals 396 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
You'll also love
- Holiday Sausage Stuffing 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Guacamole Onion Rings 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Strawberry French Toast 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Herbed Goat Cheese Spread 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Lobster Crostini with Buttery... 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Sugar Cookie Christmas Tree 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Chocolate Nutella Peanut Butter... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Quickbread Cheese Biscuits 4.6/5 (19 Votes)