Roasted Zucchini Skins
From Bobby Deens "Not My Mama's Meals"
- 4 medium zucchini
- Canola oil spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 strips turkey bacon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups farro, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat Cheddar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
To make the zucchini boats, split the zucchini lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the flesh using a small spoon, taking care not to pierce the back of the skin. Continue until each zucchini half resembles a canoe.
Place the hollowed zucchini boats onto a foil-lined baking sheet and spray with canola oil. Drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Roast until they begin to soften, 15 to 18 minutes. Set aside while you make the farro salad.
Saute the turkey bacon in the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes per side, then add the zucchini flesh, red pepper flakes and red onions and cook until the zucchini begins to soften. Add the garlic, lemon zest and juice and bell peppers and saute until the peppers soften.
Transfer the vegetables to a mixing bowl. Stir in the farro, cheese, basil, green onions and sour cream to combine.
Scoop about 1/2 cup of the farro salad into each zucchini boat and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving: 206 calories, 9 g total fat