Chicken and Veggies Stir Fry
A stir fry makes a terrific dinner since it come together really quickly and can be made very healthy. This skinny one is chock full of broccoli, pea pods, carrots, cabbage, onions and lean chicken breasts. Each huge, fiber rich serving has 264 calories, 6 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. You’ll be so satisfied with this dish just the way it is but it can be served over brown rice, if desired.
- Ingredients for Sauce:
- 2 cup broccoli florets, cut in half, see shopping tip
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 5 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups Chinese pea pods (snow peas) sliced in half
- 1 3/4 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons water for stir frying
- 1/3 cup plus reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 2 teaspoons ginger (from a jar), see shopping tip
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from skinnykitchen.com
First prep all vegetables and dice the chicken. Set aside.
In a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients and mix until well blended. Set aside.
Coat a large nonstick wok or pan with cooking spray. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in pan. Add broccoli, onions and carrots and water. Saute over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes until broccoli is soft. Add cabbage and chicken. Saute another 2 minutes until soft. Turn down to medium heat, stir in pea pods and sauce mixture. Stir fry for about 2 minutes until all heated through. Stir constantly to blend everything.
Store any leftovers in the fridge for a few days.
Makes 4 servings. (each serving, 2 cups)
Broccoli is a star member of the cruciferous family which is believed to help protect against cancer. It’s a super source of vitamin C, folate, vitamin B6 and fiber.
Cabbage is a nutrient dense, low calorie, food that provides an excellent source of vitamin C, potassium, folic acid, B6, biotin, calcium, and a respectable amount of fiber. In addition, studies have shown that cabbage has anticancer benefits.
Broccoli florets are sold in bags in the produce department. To make your own, see prep tip below.
Ginger, from a jar, is sold in the produce section where garlic in the jar, is displayed.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 (2 cup) serving
264 calories, 6g fat, 24g protein, 34g carbs, 7g fiber, 792mg sodium, 15g sugar
FAT FACTS: for Pf Changs Ginger Chicken With Broccoli
470 calories, 11g fat, 59g protein, 38g carbs, 8g fiber, 2330mg sodium, 0g sugar
You'll also love
- Shredded Chicken Taco Meat - Crock... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Bierocks - Old Fashioned Volga... 4.2/5 (66 Votes)
- Southern-Style Chicken Salad 4.2/5 (51 Votes)
- Low-Sugar Orange Chicken 4.7/5 (23 Votes)
- Asian Noodles with Chicken and... 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Japanese Chicken Curry 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Glazed Lemon Chicken 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Chinese Chicken Fried Rice 4.4/5 (40 Votes)