Key Lime Pie #4
- 1 package graham crackers (1/3 box)
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- Grated zest of 2 limes (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (Key lime is best)
- 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream chilled
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Graham Cracker Crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter 9 inch pie pan. Break up graham crackers, place crackers into food processor until breaks into crumbs. Add melted butter and sugar and pulse until smooth. Press mixture into bottom and sides of pie plate, forming neat border around sides. Bake crust until set and golden..8 minutes. Set aside on wire rack. Leave oven on.
With an electric mixture with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower mixer speed and slowly add lime juice, mixing until combined. Pour mixture into pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until filling is firm. Cool in rack, then refrigerate. Place in freezer for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Whip cream and confectioners' sugar until set. Cut pie into wedges, serve with a dollop of whipped cream.