- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Adapted from ktolar.wordpress.com
1. In a small noncorrodible saucepan, combine the bourbon, shallots and orange zest. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the bourbon is reduced to a syrupy glaze on the bottom of the pan, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the cranberries and sugar, stirring well, until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer, uncovered, until most of the cranberries have burst open, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper. Transfer to a bowl, let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
This relish can be prepared several days in advance of serving.