Quinoa with Butternut Squash
Makes a great substitution for dressing with turkey dinner!
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed into 1/2 in. pieces
- 2 TB olive oil
- 1 c red quinoa
- 2 c chicken broth
- 2 TB butter
- 1/2 c sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 c celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 c carrots, finely chopped
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken or cream of celery soup
- 1/2 c dry white wine or chicken broth
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 c fresh basil, chopped or 2 tsp dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 c finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- candied pecans
- 1 c walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/4 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Preheat oven to 425F.
In a large bowl combine squash and oil; toss to coat.
Spread squash in a baking pan and roast for 20 minutes or until squash is tender; stirring twice during roasting.
Remove from oven.
Reduce oven heat to 350F.
Prepare quinoa. Add quinoa to 2 cups chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook on low for 15 min. Drain any extra liquid.
In a large skillet heat butter until melted. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook on medium heat until tender; stirring occasionally. Stir in soup, wine, and cream cheese.
In an ungreased 4 quart casserole dish; combine squash, cooked quinoa and onion mixture. Add basil and stir until evenly mixed.
In saute pan on medium heat, combine brown sugar, salt, cayenne pepper, egg white and walnuts; stirring.
Sprinkle candied pecans on top of butternut squash casserole.
Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.