Slow Cooker Chicken Vesuvio
- 6 (12 ounce) bone-in, skin-on split chicken breasts, trimmed
- Salt and Pepper
- 3 tbsp. EVOO
- 2 onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced to a paste
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 pounds red potatoes (4 to 5 medium), scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 grated lemon zest plus 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice.
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 270mins
1. Dry chicken with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp, EVOO in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add half of chicken, skin side down and brown lightly, about 5 minutes, transfer to plate and repeat with other half of the chicken. Cool slightly and discard the skin.
2. Add onion, half of garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes to fat left in pan and cook over medium high heat until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in wine, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
3. Microwave potatoes with remaining tbsp. oil in covered bowl, stirring occasionally, until nearly tender, about 5 minutes, transfer to slow cooker. Stir broth into slow cooker. Nestle browned chicken with any accumulated juice into slow cooker. Cover and cook until 4 to 6 hours on low.
4. Add rosemary spring, cover, and cook on high until rosemary is fragrant about 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to potatoes to serving platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface until large spoon. Discard rosemary. Stir in peas and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in remaining garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Spoon 1 cup sauce over chicken and serve with remaining sauce.