Grilled Pork Chops with an Apple Walnut Slaw
Grady Spears Cowboys' Kitchen #231
- Please Note: Recipes page is for current shows recipes only.
- For other recipes, please click on Cookbooks.
- Episode 40
- Week of March 28th 2011
- [Printer Friendly Version]
- Grilled Pork Chops with an Apple Walnut Slaw
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 GALLON WATER, DIVIDED
- 1 CUP KOSHER SALT
- 4 BAY LEAVES
- 1 TBS. CORIANDER SEEDS TOASTED
- 1 TBS WHOLE BLACK PEPPERCORNS
- 1/2 CUP FRESH LOOSELY PACKED THYME LEAVES OR 2 TBS, DRIED THYME
- 1 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 2 ORANGES- HALVED
- 1 LARGE WHITE ONION-SLICED THICK
- 4 CLOVES GARLIC CRUSHED
- 6 (12-OUNCE) PORTERHOUSE PORK CHOPS
- APPLE WALNUT SLAW
- 4 GRANNY SMITH APPLES-CORED AND JULIENNED
- JUICE OF 1/2 LEMON
- 1 CUP RED GRAPES-HALVED
- 1/2 CUP WALNUT PIECES- TOASTED
- 3 GREEN ONIONS-FINELY CHOPPED
- 2 TBS. FLAT LEAF PARSLEY-FINELY CHOPPED
- SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1/2 CUP CREAMY BLUE CHEESE DRESSING
- HOME-MADE COFFEE BBQ SAUCE
- 1 TBS UNSALTED BUTTER
- 1 TBS OIL
- 1 SMALL SWEET ONION-FINELY DICED
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES-PEELED
- 2 TBS. ANCHO CHILE POWDER
- 1 TBS. GROUND CUMIN
- 1 TBS. GROUND CORIANDER
- 1 TSP. SMOKED SWEET PAPRIKA
- 2 TBS. MUSTARD
- 1/2 CUP KETCHUP
- 1/2 CUP BROWN SUGAR
- 1 CUP BREWED COFFEE
- 1/2 CUP CHICKEN BROTH
- 1/2 CUP CIDER VINEGAR
- 2 TBS. WORCHESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- KOSHER SALT AND COARSELY GROUND PEPPER
To make the brine, in a large, deep pot, bring 4 cups of the water to a simmer and add the salt, bay leaves, coriander seeds, black pepper, thyme, and brown sugar. Whisk and simmer for about 1 minute, or until the salt has dissolved. Add the oranges, onion, garlic, and remaining 3 quarts water. Remove from the heat and cool the brine
Add the pork chops to the brine and place a plate on top of the chops to keep them submerged. Place the pot in the refrigerator for 6 to 8 hours. While the chops are brining, make the Apple Walnut Slaw ( recipe follows). Remove the chops from the brine, scrape off any of the spices, and pat dry. Discard the brine and place the chops on a plate. Cover them with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to grill.
Toss the apples with the fresh lemon juice so the apples don't turn brown. Mix all of the remaining ingredients together with the apples in a large mixing bowl, adjusting the seasonings to taste. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Serve the pork chops with the Apple-Walnut Slaw.
In a saucepan, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic cloves and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes. Add ancho powder, cumin, coriander and paprika and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add ketchup, mustard and brown sugar and cook, stirring, just until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in coffee, broth, vinegar and Worchestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat until onions are soft and liquid is reduced by half, approx. 20 minutes.
Transfer sauce to a blender and process until smooth. Refrigerate.
Prepare your gas or charcoal grill to medium-high heat, and coat the brined chops in the Coffee BBQ Sauce.
Grill the pork chops on each side for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the internal temperature registers 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure the chops aren't too close to the coals, as the BBQ sauce can cause a flame to flare. Transfer the pork chops to a plate and allow them to rest for at least 5 minutes. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- Apricot-Glazed Grilled Pork Chops 4.8/5 (18 Votes)
- Garlic-Lime Grilled Pork... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Nalesniki z Podsmazanymi Bananami 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beef Melody 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pineapple-Lime Shrimp 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Pork Au Jus WW 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Japanese Grilled Pork Chops and... 0/5 (0 Votes)