CABBAGE ROLL SOUP
Can be made on stovetop or in crockpot
- 1 1/2 lb. mild Italian sausage
- 2 large potatoes, 1 grated & 1 diced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 can (10 oz./284 mL) chicken broth
- 1 can (19 oz./540 mL) diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped or 1 Tbsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp. each: celery seed and salt
- 1/4 tsp. each: black pepper and nutmeg
- 4 cups cabbage, trimmed & coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Remove sausage from casings; cut into bite-sized pieces. In large saucepan, brown sausage over medium-high heat. Remove sausage & set aside. Drain off fat and reduce heat to medium; stir in onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes, or until softened.
Stir in sausage, potatoes, carrots, chicken broth, tomatoes and herbs and spices. Bring to a boil; cover & simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add cabbage and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until tender.
Remove sausage from casings; cut into bite-sized pieces. In large skiller, brown sausage over medium-high heat; drain off fat and transfer sausage to crockpot. Add potatoes along with onions, garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes and herbs and spices.
Cover and cook on low heat for 7 1/2 hours. Add cabbage, pushing down into liquid; cook for 30-60 minutes or until vegetables are tender.