Decadent carrot cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting, what could be better? Top with chopped walnuts for a nice crunch.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup natural applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 4 ounces 1/3 fat cream cheese (recommended: Neufchatel)
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
Sift together the first 6 ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, brown sugar and eggs until well combined. Whisk in the applesauce, vanilla and carrots. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Stir in 1/4 cup of the chopped walnuts.
Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and lemon zest until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts. The cupcakes should be stored in the refrigerator.
You'll also love
- Dijon-Roasted New Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blue Cheese Crab Quiche 0/5 (0 Votes)
- PEPPER SWEET CORN BREAD 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornish Hen - Poached with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apple Tart 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grandma DeWald's Date Cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spiced Pumpkin Cupcakes 0/5 (0 Votes)