Corn and Tomato Gratin
This hearty gratin resembles a savory bread pudding. Tomatoes, aromatic basil, and parmesan cheese give it an Italian flair.
- 1 1/2 lb. red or yellow tomatoes (4 medium), cut crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (from 6-8 ears)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
Arrange tomato slices in 1 layer on a rack set in a shallow baking pan and sprinkle on both sides with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Let drain 30 minutes.
While tomatoes drain, bring corn, milk, cream, and 1/4 tsp. salt to a simmer in a heavy saucepan over high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until corn is tender, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly, uncovered.
Put oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 375. Butter a shallow baking dish. Arrange one third of tomato slices in baking dish, then cover evenly with one third of bread-crumb mixture and dot with one third of butter. Spoon half of corn mixture over crumbs, then repeat layering with half of remaining tomatoes, crumbs, and butter, and all of the corn, then top with remaining bread crumbs and dot with remaining butter.
Bake, uncovered, until top is golden adn gratin is bubbling all over, 40-45 minutes. Cool slightly on a rack, about 15 minutes, before serving.
You'll also love
- CRAB PUFFS 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Stroganoff Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mango Salsa 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato, Green Onion & Bacon Tart 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crock-pot Lemon -garlic chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crockpot Glazed Corned Beef 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tomato Minestrone Soup w/ Garlic... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornbread 0/5 (0 Votes)