Crispy Breaded Tilapia with Classic Tartar Sauce
Pan-frying sets the coating and gives this usually mild-tasting fish a browned exterior and rich flavor. The classic tangy tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon adds a final flavor boost.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs. minced red onion
- 2 Tbs. sweet pickle relish or dill pickle relish
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 Tbs. capers, drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless tilapia fillets (about 4 oz. each)
- Vegetable oil for the pan
- 1 large lemon, cut into wedges
Adapted from e.taunton.com
Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, red onion, relish, parsley, capers, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate.
Line up three wide shallow dishes. Put the flour in the first; beat the eggs lightly in the second; put the breadcrumbs in the third. Season the tilapia with salt and pepper. Working with one fillet at a time, coat it with flour and shake off the excess. Then dip the fillet in the egg and dredge it in the breadcrumbs, patting them on to help them adhere. Set each breaded fillet on a plate or tray as you finish it.
Pour the oil 1/4 inch deep into a 10- to 12-inch skillet. Heat over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking, or until a breadcrumb sizzles and browns quickly when dropped in the oil. Cook two of the tilapia fillets until they are crisp and browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to the baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and keep warm in the oven while you cook the remaining two fillets.
Serve immediately with lemon wedges and the tartar sauce.
You'll also love
- Orange Creme Cake 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Simple Crockpot Beef Stew 4.4/5 (50 Votes)
- Smoky Corn and Shrimp Soup 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Shrimp Tacos with Chili Mustard... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crunchy Baked Fish with Homemade... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Salmon with Orange-Herb Sauce 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cornmeal Crusted Tilapia - Dairy... 5/5 (2 Votes)