Ginger Shrimp Curry
Not your typical Indian curry. this one uses soy sauce and sesame oil.
- 1 12oz package peeled and cooked frozen (thawed) medium shrimp
- 2 Tbsp lite soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp ketchup or chili sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oriental sesame oil, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp mild to medium hot curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped red or green bell pepper
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and coarsely chopped Golden Delicious or similar sweet, flavorful apple
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp all purpose white flour
- 2/3 cup fat free low sodium or regular chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups hot cooked long grain white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts for garnish (optional)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
1. In medium bowl, stir together shrimp, soy sauce, ketchup, ½ Tbsp oil, curry powder, and gingerroot. Let stand 10-15 minutes.
2. In 12 inch or larger nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 1 Tsp oil to hot but not smoking over high heat. Add the peppers, apple, and onion. Adjust the heat so mixture cooks rapidly but does not burn, and cook, stirring, until the onions are lightly brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the flour until evenly incorporated; cook 1 minute, stirring.
4. Stir in shrimp and their seasoning mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, until the shrimp are just heated through. Stir in the chicken broth; heat just to piping hot. Add salt to taste.
5. Serve over rice, garnish with peanuts, if desired.