Corn and White Bean Chowder
White beans make this a more hearty chowder than most. Adding cornmeal or masa helps to thicken the soup.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 carrots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound red skinned potatoes
- 6 ears corn
- 1 can white beans
- A few sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups milk
- 1/4 cup cornmeal or masa
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
Adapted from acouplecooks.com
1. Dice the yellow onion and half of a red pepper. Peel and dice three carrots. Mince two cloves garlic. Dice the potatoes. Cut the corn off the cob (if possible, use a bundt pan: place the corn cob in the center ring and cut the corn down into the pan). Save the cobs. Drain and rinse the white beans; set aside. Remove the leaves of thyme and set aside.
2. In a large pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute the onion and bay leaf 4 minutes, until soft. Add the carrots, red pepper, and garlic, and saute for 4 minutes. Add corn, corn cobs, potatoes, and 6 cups milk. Bring to a boil. Then simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove the corn cobs and bay leaf. In a small bowl, mix cornmeal or masa with ¼ cup (or a bit more) water, then add to pot. Add 2 teaspoons kosher salt, white beans, and fresh thyme. Heat through for about 5 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the soup is thickened a bit (mash down lumps of cornmeal if any occur).
You'll also love
- Juicy Turkey Burgers 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Grammie's pressgurka (Swedish... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Auntie Ime's Easy Pani Popo -... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Zucchini and Spinach pizza 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Southwest Corn Pudding 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Broiled Cornish Hens 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Lentil Cookies 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Filipino White Bean and Pork Stew 4.6/5 (5 Votes)