Cuban Pork w/Sour Orange Sauce
- Sour Orange Sauce (Optional):
- 1 bone-in pork shoulder (about 4 lb), trimmed of skin and excess fat
- 12 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped oregano leaves (+2tbsp)
- Kosher salt + freshly ground pepper
- 3 1/2 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- Mojo Dipping Sauce (Optional):
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 serrano or jalepeño chili, stemmed, chopped with seeds
- 3 tbsp cilantro leaves
- kosher salt
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup each: fresh lime juice, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
For pork, using paring knife, make small slits all over pork. Rub garlic in slashes (except 1 tsp for sauce later).
Whisk together oil and 1/4 cup oregano in a large roasting pan. All pork and rub all over pork. Cover; refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
Remove pork from fridge 30 minutes before roasting. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 425.
Meanwhile, for Sour Orange Sauce in large saucepan, combine 3 cups orange juice, 1 cup lime juice and 2 zests. Bring to boil over high heat. Boil until mixture darkens and is reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup orange juice, remaining 1/4 cup lime juice, reserved garlic and oregano. Let cool to room temperature.
Roast pork in preheated 425F oven 30 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350F. Roast about 90 minutes. Pour Sour Orange Sauce over pork. Roast, basting every 10 minutes with sauce, until thermometer inserted in centre reaches 180F (82C), about 30 minutes. Remove from oven. Baste with any remaining sauce. Tent loosely with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before slicing. Serve drizzled with mojo sauce (below)
Mojo Dipping Sauce:
Mash garlic, chili, cilantro and salt into paste in mortar and pestle. Transfer to measuring cup or bowl. Add orange juice, lime juice, oil and honey. Stir to combine.
You'll also love
- Pulled Pork Sandwiches with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Pineapple Zucchini Cake (without)... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Grilled Fresh Figs, Brie &... 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Pork Souvlaki 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Fish Tacos Recipe with Broccoli... 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Creamy Lemon Basil Quinoa Primavera 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Orange Crush Citrus Custard 4.5/5 (13 Votes)