Grandma Mae's Norwegian Almond Bars
Beautiful and unique, these cookies are amazingly easy. They're perfect for the holidays and won't last long on your serving platter.
- BAR COOKIE:
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature is easiest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped
- ALMOND ICING:
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- and enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Preheat oven to 325°F. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large mixer bowl beat butter or margarine till softened. Add sugar and beat till fluffy. Add egg and almond extract and beat well. Add flour mixture and beat till well mixed.
Divide dough into fourths. Form each into a 12-inch roll. Place two rolls 4 to 5 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten till 3 inches wide. Repeat with remaining rolls.
Brush flattened rolls with milk and sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 325°F for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. While cookies are still warm, cut them crosswise at a diagonal into 1-inch strips with a sharp knife. Cool on wire rack. Drizzle with almond icing.
Stir together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon almond extract, and enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make icing of drizzling consistency.
You'll also love
- 5-Spice Braised Brisket 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Cherry-Cola Dump Cake 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Nutella Stuffed Peanut Butter... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Macadamia Nut & White Chocolate... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- World's Best Lemon Bars 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Almond Roca Cookies 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
- Cranberry-Almond Biscotti 3.9/5 (51 Votes)