5-Spice Braised Brisket
Five-Spice powder is rubbed on the brisket before being braised in a broth of soy sauce, beef stock, ginger, and scallions resulting in a delicious dinner party centerpiece. Serve this with the steamed or roasted vegetables of your choice and some fried rice for an Asian-inspired culinary adventure. This recipe is best for holiday gathering because it feeds large groups of people with ease.
- 8 ounces ginger, skin on
- 2 yellow onions, halved
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4-pound) brisket
- 3 tablespoons five-spice powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 10 garlic cloves
- 3 star anise
- 3 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 bunch scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 255mins
Adapted from tastingtable.com
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Place the ginger and onions in the pan and cook, turning as needed, until well charred, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside.
In a 5.5-quart Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Rub the brisket completely with the five-spice powder and season with salt and pepper. Sear the brisket, turning as needed, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the brisket to a plate.
Add 1 cup of the stock to deglaze the pan, and then return the charred vegetables and seared brisket to the pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring the liquid to a simmer, then cover the pot and place it in the oven. Cook until fork-tender, 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and thinly slice against the grain. Divide between plates, pouring some of the braising liquid over each, then serve.
You'll also love
- Personal Peach Pies 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- leftover ham and potato casserole 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Cherry-Cola Dump Cake 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- 7-Ingredient Zuppa Toscana 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Sausage Tortellini - Instant Pot 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Boiled Eggs in an Instant Pot 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Korean Stir Fry Udon & Chicken 4.7/5 (7 Votes)