Great-grandma Ellen's Jordgubbstårta (Swedish strawberry cake)
Traditional midsummer's eve Swedish dessert
- Sugar Cake – Base cake
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup and 5 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup and 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Filling and topping
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 pt fresh or thawed frozen strawberries
Adapted from delishhh.com
Turn the oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 9” spring foam pan.
In a bowl melt butter, then add milk and let it sit. Then in another bowl add eggs and butter and mix those together. Then add the butter milk mixture and then the vanilla. Lastly add the flour and baking powder. Pour the batter into the pan.
Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Let it cool before you cut into it.
Cut the sugar cake in half so you have a top and bottom.
In a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks are just about to form. Beat in vanilla and sugar until peaks form. Make sure not to over-beat, cream will then become lumpy and butter-like.
Place half the whipped topping and 3/4ths of the strawberries over the bottom layer of the cut cake.
Then add the top of the cake and cover with the remaining whipped cream and strawberries.
You'll also love
- Crab Enchiladas with Tomatillo... 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- HERB CRUSTED BEEF WITH DIJON CREAM... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Cauliflower Hummus with Olives 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Crustless Chocolate Raspberry... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Homemade Blueberry Compound Butter 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Grandma Johnson's Scones 4/5 (2 Votes)
- GRANDMA McCARVER'S SUGAR COOKIES 0/5 (0 Votes)