Grandma Johnson's Scones
A Family Favorite
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup optional “flavor” (raisins, dried cranberry, cinnamon chips, etc.)
- Raw sugar
1. In a small bowl, blend the sour cream and baking soda, and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt.
4. Cut in the butter.
5. Stir the sour cream mixture and egg into the flour mixture until just moistened. Do not over-work the dough.
6. Mix in optional flavor ingredient.
7. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly until dough sticks together. Halve the dough and roll or pat dough into a 1/2” to 3/4” thick round.
8. Dust raw sugar across top of dough round and then cut into wedges.
9. Place wedges 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet (if you don’t want to cook them right away, you can individually wrap each wedge in plastic wrap and freeze for later use; they can be cooked straight from the freezer about 30 mins).
10. Bake approx 15-20 minutes in the preheated oven, until light golden brown
You'll also love
- Grandma Schmidt's Apple Kuchen 0/5 (0 Votes)