HERB CRUSTED BEEF WITH DIJON CREAM SAUCE
Good Housekeeping, December 2016
Will need overnight refrigeration
- 1 eye of round beef roast (about 4 lbs.)
- 3 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp, plus 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 tblsp champagne or white wine vinegar
- 2 tblsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed fresh parsley, finely chopped
Place beef on large sheet of plastic wrap; sprinkle all over with 1 teaspoon kosher salt, patting to adhere. Wrap tightly; refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 250. Remove plastic from beef. Pat beef dry. Place on rack fitted into foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Roast 2 hours to 2 hours, 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 130-135.
Meanwhile, in 8 inch skillet on medium heat, cook shallots, rosemary and ¼ teaspoon salt in 2 teaspoons oil 5 minutes or until shallots are golden, stirring often. Remove from heat. Add vinegar, scraping up any browned bits, then stir in mustard. Let mixture cool before stirring into sour cream. Cover and refrigerate.
In 12 inch skillet on medium-high, heat remaining oil until hot but not smoking. Pat beef dry. Add to skillet. Cook on all sides just until browned about 6 minutes. Remove from heat. Combine basil and parsley; pat all over beef. Let stand at least 20 minutes before very thinly slicing. Serve with cream sauce.