Slow Cooker Beer-Braised Smoked Sausages and Onions
Top these sandwiches with a beer cheese sauce.
- 12 smoked sausages with cheese (such as Hillshire Farms cheddar wurst)
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 3 large onions, sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (12 oz) beer
- 12 hoagie rolls, split
- Mustard and shredded cheddar (optional)
1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausages and brown on all sides, about 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, coat the bowl of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Place butter, brown sugar and mustard in slow cooker; stir in onions, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Place sausages over onions and pour beer over the top.
3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours. Serve sausages on rolls with onions. Top with mustard and cheddar, if desired.
Beer Cheese Sauce:
12 ounces pasteurized cheese product, cubed, such as Velveeta
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup reserved beer braising liquid, plus more as needed
Add the cheese and mustard to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Add the beer braising liquid and stir to combine. Add more braising liquid if the sauce is too thick; the sauce should be velvety. Yield: 2 cups.
You'll also love
- Taco Salad With Pinto Beans and... 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Turkey-Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Mesquite Smoked Turkey with a... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Turnip Cauliflower Mash 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Spicy Sausage & Mixed Vegetable... 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Onions 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Cheeseburgers with Grilled Onions 4.6/5 (8 Votes)