Orangettes: French Candied Orange Peels
- 6 Navel Oranges
- 4 1/2 cups Water
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- Dark Chocolate
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from chefjoshuaalan.com
1. Wash and dry the oranges.
2. Cut off tops and bottoms, just enough to reveal the meat of the fruit.
3. Make cuts top-to-bottom every 1.5 or so inches, cutting only the skin and pith.
4. Peel off the skins by gently sliding a thumb underneath between the meat and pith.
5. Place the skin flat on a cutting surface.
6. Cut the skins in 1/4" thick slices.
7. Over medium heat, place the orange peels and just enough water to cover.
8. Bring the water to a boil.
9. Drain the pot, then repeat steps 7 and 8 two more times for a total of 3 boils. Drain and set aside.
10. Over medium-high heat, place a pot with the water and sugar.
11. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
12. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat.
13. Add peels and cook for 45 minutes on a gentle simmer.
14. Drain peels and toss in sugar. Dry on a wire rack for a couple of hours.
15. Once dry, melt chocolate and dip orange peels in the chocolate half-way. Let harden, then consume!