Velvet Mashed Potatoes
- 12 medium boiling potatoes - (4 lbs) peeled, and cut into large pieces
- 3/4 cup milk - (to 1 cup)
- 1/2 package cream cheese - (8 oz) cut into cubes, and softened
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter softened
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Heat 1 inch water (salted if desired) to boiling in Dutch oven. Add potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 30 to 35 minutes or until tender; drain. Shake pan with potatoes over low heat to dry.
Mash potatoes in large bowl until no lumps remain. Beat in milk in small amounts, beating after each addition (amount of milk needed to make potatoes smooth and fluffy depends on kind of potatoes used). Add cream cheese, margarine, salt and pepper. Beat vigorously until potatoes are light and fluffy.
This recipe yields 12 servings.