Beef Vegetable Soup with Noodles
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs. beef chuck, trimmed of excess fat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled, and chopped into half-moon chunks
- 2 celery ribs, sliced to the thicker side
- 3 small red potatoes, unpeeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 cup frozen peas, thawed (or substitute green beans or add both!)
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 6 oz. best quality egg noodles (from an Amish market if possible)
1. Pat meat dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add ~ 2 Tbs. of olive oil and heat until is shimmers.
3. When the oil is hot but not smoking, add in a single layer. Do not crowd or your meat will steam and not brown.
4. Brown the meat on all sides, about 5 minutes.
5. Remove meat with a slotted spoon to a plate.
6. Repeat with the remaining meat, adding more oil if needed.
7. Return meat to pot and add beef stock, chicken stock or water, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
8. Bring to a low boil over medium high heat, reduce heat, cover with lid askew, and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
9. Towards the end of the simmering time, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
10. Add the onions and sauté until beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Add the carrots and celery to the pot and sauté for an additional 4 or 5 minutes.
11. At the end of the 1 ½ hour simmering time, add the sautéed vegetables, cubed potato, and thyme to the pot. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for 40-45 minutes.
12. Add the peas and corn and stir. Bring the soup to a high simmer. Stir in the noodles and cook until noodles are soft, ~ 8-10 minutes.