Cornmeal and Ricotta Waffles
Cornmeal and Ricotta waffles are a special treat. While you do need to whip up egg whites, it' s worth the effort. The cornmeal makes the waffles crispy, and the ricotta keeps them moist. This recipe was developed by Chef Michael Mina and was featured on the Food & Wine Website.
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese (12 ounces)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for serving
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Crisp bacon strips, for serving
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Heat an 8-inch square waffle iron and preheat the oven to 200°.
In a large bowl, whisk the ricotta with the milk, egg yolks and sugar.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients into the ricotta mixture until combined. Stir in the melted butter.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the waffle batter until no streaks remain.
Coat the waffle iron with vegetable-oil spray and spoon about 1 1/2 cups of the batter onto the waffle iron. Close and cook until the waffles are golden and crisp.
Serve the waffles immediately or transfer them to a rack in the oven to keep warm.
Serve the cornmeal waffles with melted butter, maple syrup and crisp bacon.
You'll also love
- Garlic-Parmesan Tilapia 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Candy Corn Cupcakes 4.6/5 (24 Votes)
- Chicken Mozzarella Pasta with... 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- Yogurt Corn Bread 4.3/5 (44 Votes)
- Black Pepper Chicken (Singapore ) 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- Ina Garten's Baked Blintzes with... 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Cornmeal Pancakes with Rasperry... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Spicy Oven Cornmeal-Fried Chicken 4/5 (1 Votes)