Hotdogs with Onion and Tomato Relish
- Onion and Tomato Relish:
- 8 hotdogs
- Hotdog buns
- 8 slices of American cheese
- 1 tsp. butter
- Fresh Avocado - sliced for garnish
- 1 large sweet onion - sliced
- 1/2 large jalapeño – chopped with seeds
- 1 large vine ripe tomato – quartered
- 2 large cloves of garlic – chopped
- 1 tablespoon – Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbs. olive oil
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.blogspot.com
Heat a large frying pan with a tsp. of butter. Add the hotdogs and cook until a beautiful golden color.
Heat another large frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions, garlic and jalapeño. Sauté until the onions are slightly golden. Add the tomato and continue to sauté until the tomato is soft.
In a small bowl combine the Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, vinegar, honey, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, ground cumin and brown sugar. Stir together and add to the pan.
Simmer on low while the hot dogs finish cooking.
Heat the hotdog buns and place the sliced American cheese on the bun; top with the hotdog and the onion/tomato relish.