Iraqi Lamb and Eggplant Stew with Pitas
- Kosher salt
- 1 large eggplant (1 1/2 pounds), sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup plus 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 lamb shanks (about 1 1/4 pounds each)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup pomegranate molasses (see Note)
- 1/2 cup dried yellow split peas (3 ounces)
- 4 dried red chiles
- 2 teaspoons baharat spice blend (see Note) or garam masala
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 8 small pita breads, warmed and torn into large pieces
Preparation time 180mins
In a bowl, dissolve 2 teaspoons of salt in 1 quart of water. Add the eggplant, cover with a small plate to keep the slices submerged and let soak for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large enameled cast-iron casserole, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and cook over high heat, turning once, until well browned, about 5 minutes per side. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 10 minutes. Add 3 quarts of water, the pomegranate molasses, split peas, dried chiles, baharat and coriander and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, skimming and stirring a few times.
3. Drain the eggplant and pat dry. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 11/2 tablespoons of the oil. Add one third of the eggplant and cook over moderately high heat until browned, 3 minutes per side; transfer to paper towels to drain. Brown the remaining eggplant in the 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the eggplant to the lamb and simmer over low heat, stirring, until the lamb is tender, 45 minutes.
4. Transfer the lamb to a rimmed baking sheet. Remove the meat from the bones and cut into 1-inch pieces. Boil the stew over high heat, skimming, until the liquid has reduced to 3 cups, about 40 minutes.
5. Return the lamb to the stew and season with salt and pepper. Divide the pita among 4 bowls. Ladle the stew on top and serve.
Notes Pomegranate molasses is basically reduced pomegranate juice. Baharat is a complex spice blend typically containing cumin, coriander and paprika. Both are available at Middle Eastern groceries.
You'll also love
- Spinach Casserole Surprise 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- White Bean Chicken Chili 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- beefless tips pasta gardein 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Baked Kale Chips 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Meatballs - Quinoa and Turkey... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Roast Lamb with Mint Sauce 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Roasted Eggplant & Feta Dip 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Mustard Herb Roasted Lamb Breast 4.5/5 (8 Votes)