Spicy Sausage and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 (16-ounce) package spicy pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 ⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes chicken broth
- 2 heads cauliflower, trimmed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Garnish: shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced green onion
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
In a large Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until sausage is browned and crumbles. Remove sausage, and reserve drippings in pan. (Drippings should equal about 1⁄4 cup.) Reduce heat to medium; add vegetable oil. Add flour, and cook, whisking to remove any lumps, until light brown. Stir in chicken broth, whisking to remove any lumps. Add cauliflower, and simmer until tender and begins to fall apart. Stir in half-and-half.
2.To serve, top each bowl with desired amount of crumbled sausage. Garnish with Cheddar cheese and green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.