Asiago and Asparagus Risotto-Style Rice
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 pound asparagus spears, trimmed and broken into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups half and half, divided
- 1/2 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded Asiago cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 ounces pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 23mins
1. Combine onion, rice, garlic and broth in 3.5 to 4 quart Crock Pot slow cooker. Stir until well blended; cover and cook on HIGH 2 hours or until rice is done.
2. Stir in asparagus and 1/2 cup half-and-half. Cover and cook on HIGH 20 to 30 minutes more or until asparagus is just tender.
3. Stir in remaining ingredients, then cover and let stand 5 minutes to allow cheese to melt slightly. FLuff with fork and garnish with additional Asiago cheese, if desired, before serving.
Tip: Risotto is a classic creamy rice dish of Norther Italy. I can be made with a wide variety of ingredients. Fresh vegetables and cheeses, such as ASiago, work especially well in risottos. Parmesan cheese, shellfish, white wine and herbs are also popular additions.