Best Prime Rib with Mushroom Gravy
This is a family recipe that is always a hit at Christmas. The key is to get a beef rib roast from your local butcher shop and have them cut the ribs off the meat and add some garlic between the meat and bones and tie it back up. Our butcher here will do it at no extra cost.
- Beef rib roast
- garlic cloves
- montreal steak seasoning
- veal stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
Preheat the oven to 450. season the meat with the montreal steak seasoning and make a few slits in the meat and shove garlic into it. Put in the roast and bake for 45 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave roasting for 2 hours without opening the door. This gives the meat a nice crust and leaves the meat juicy and pink inside. If you use a meat thermometer because you don't trust to just wait and possibly over cook the meat, make sure you take it out a few degrees before the temp gets where you want it because it will continue to rise while sitting.
While the meat is cooking, make your gravy. Start by sauteing the onions and mushrooms with salt and pepper until golden, add some chopped garlic and the veal stock along with 1/4 cup of red wine. Reduce for about 5 minutes. If you want the sauce thicker you can add some corn starch to some cold stock, shake well and add to the mushroom gravy to thicken. You need to bring it to a boil so that it will get nice and thick.
You'll also love
- Paleo Honey Sweet Potato Bars 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Roasted Goose with Crispy Skin 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Raspberry Breakfast Bars 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- The Biggest Loser's Baked Eggs in... 4.3/5 (64 Votes)
- Homemade Beef Jerky 4.4/5 (53 Votes)
- French Hamburgers 4.1/5 (72 Votes)
- Coffee-Rubbed Prime Rib 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Hearty Lentil & Mushroom... 4.5/5 (45 Votes)