Hearty Lentil & Mushroom Shepherd's Pie
Have fun with this. Use different veggies, use sweet potatoes instead of white, make in individual ramekins...it's up to you! This healthy shepherd's pie is sure to please your family.
- 8 large or 10 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegan buttery spread
- 1/2 cup rice milk or other non-dairy milk
- Salt, to taste, if desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces cremini or baby bella mushrooms, diced small
- 2 (15-ounce) cans lentils, lightly drained
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 2 to 3 teaspoons seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 8 to 10 ounces baby spinach or arugula leaves
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup bread crumbs or ground nuts
Peel and dice the potatoes. Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer until tender, about 2- minutes. Drain and transfer to a small mixing bowl.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
While the potatoes are cooking, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the onion and sauté until the onion is golden. Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to sauté until the onion is golden.
Add the lentils with a little of their liquid and bring to a gentle simmer. Stir in the optional wine, soy sauce, seasoning blend, thyme, and pepper. Cook gently for 5 minutes. Combine the cornstarch with just enough water to dissolve in a small container. Stir into the lentil mixture.
Add the spinach, a little at a time, cooking just until wilted. Remove from the heat; taste to adjust seasonings to your liking.
Lightly oil a 2-quart (preferably round) casserole dish or two deep dish pie plates. Scatter the breadcrumbs evenly over the bottom. Pour in the lentil mixture, then spread the potatoes evenly over the top.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the potatoes begin to turn golden and slightly crusty. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, then cut into wedges to serve.
You'll also love
- Baked Coconut Shrimp with... 4.5/5 (45 Votes)
- Best Meatballs Ever 4.7/5 (29 Votes)
- Pink Lemonade Cream Cheese Frosting 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Greek Mushroom Dish 4.7/5 (26 Votes)
- Chickpea Purée With Wilted Greens 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Braised Escarole & Cannellini Beans 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Rye, Kale, Mushroom & Pumpkin Seed... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Kung Pao Lentils 5/5 (1 Votes)