Coconut Apple Walnut Pancakes
Tender and fluffy from the all the eggs and yogurt, lightly nutty from the whole wheat flour and oh so flavorful from the cinnamon, apples and coconut, a most comforting and delicious fall "treat" - breakfast, brunch, breakfast for dinner...YUM!
- Apple topping:
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 soy-free eggs
- 1 cup whole milk plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup apple topping (recipe below)
- Coconut oil
- 4 medium sized Fuji apples, diced small, but not fine
- 1-2 tablespoons whole sugar, as desired
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoons cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed butter
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from freecoconutrecipes.com
In a small saucepan, combine apples, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Set aside 1/4 cup of the raw apple mixture to use in the pancakes. Add water and butter to the rest and simmer on low heat while you make the pancakes, stirring occasionally. The apples should be soft and permeated with flavor, but still firm. Do not boil.
Sift together first five ingredients and set aside.
Beat eggs, then blend in yogurt and milk until smooth. Add dry ingredients, stirring only until moistened. The batter will be lumpy, which is fine. Do not over-stir or pancakes will not rise to light and fluffy. Add the 1/4 cup apple topping, walnuts and coconut and gently stir only to combine.
Preheat a cast-iron skillet or griddle on med-low, grease lightly with coconut oil and ladle batter to the desired pancake size, spreading batter gently and evenly to about 1/3" thick. When tops start to bubble, flip to cook the other side. Flip only once and do not press or otherwise disturb while cooking. Re-grease pan with more coconut oil as needed.
Enjoy warm, topped with grass-fed butter, organic maple syrup and apple topping, garnished with a bit more shredded coconut and a pinch of cinnamon if desired.
Recipe submitted by Lydia, Salem, VA
You'll also love
- Corned Beef Hash with Eggs 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Creamy Farfalle with Salmon and... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Ginger- Sweet Potato Cheesecake 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Avocado Tomato Salad 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Milk Chocolate Banana Brownies 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Grilled Jerk Shrimp & Pineapple... 4.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Coconut Cake Frosting(marshmallow... 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Layered Coconut Chocolate Bars 4.5/5 (19 Votes)