Summer cherry pie (with canned cherries)
This cherry pie was made in last winter (we are in summer now ) but really is amazing with canned cherries dont worry. I love the dough in this recipe.
I adapted this recipe from Epicurious.com
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoon of orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups pitted fresh cherries or canned pitted sweet dark cherries, thawed, drained
- 1 egg, beaten to blend with 2 teaspoons water (for glaze)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 50mins
Join milk and vinegar in small bowl to blend.
Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl to blend; add shortening and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Stir in milk mixture; briefly knead in bowl just until dough comes together. Gather dough into ball. Divide into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Flatten each piece into disk. Wrap disks separately in plastic and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare filling:
In a pot cook slow heat the cherries, sugar, orange juice,cinnamon, orange peel, cornstarch and salt, mix and cook for a while until is thickness. Set aside by 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 190 ° C.
Roll out larger dough disk on lightly floured work surface to 13-inch round (crust will be thin). Transfer to 10-inch-diameter glass pie dish.
Roll out second disk on lightly floured work surface.
. Spoon cherry filling into crust. Place dough strips across pie in 1 direction and in opposite direction, forming lattice. Press strip ends and edge of crust together to seal. Crimp edges decoratively. Brush lattice and edges with egg glaze.
Bake pie 20 minutes. Cover crust edges with foil collar to prevent overbrowning. Continue to bake until filling bubbles and crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes not more. Transfer pie to rack and cool at least 1 hour. Serve pie warm or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- "Healthified" Mexican Pasta Skillet 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Bacon-Wrapped Pork Loin with... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- THREE CHEESE FRENCH ONION SOUP 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Sangria With White Grape Juice 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Cherry Brownie Cobbler 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Flaky Chicken Pot Pie 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Spicy Canned Banana Peppers 3.8/5 (116 Votes)