Tomato, Cucumber and Bocconcini Grain Salad
Can't find wheat berries, you can substitute with Quinoa instead equal amount
- 1 1/2 cups wheat berries, rinsed
- 5 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 cup bocconcini cheese, diced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Handful fresh basil, chopped
Adapted from cbc.ca
Add water, pinch salt and wheat berries to a medium saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour. Drain well. Let cool. To cool faster, spread out on baking sheet.
In a large bowl, combine cooked wheat berries, tomatoes, green onions, cucumber and cheese.
To make the dressing: whisk together olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper. Toss dressing with salad. Stir in basil. Let salad stand in fridge to develop flavours before serving, about 30 minutes.