Slow Cooker Homestyle Potato Soup - Cooking Light
With carrots, celery, and garlic, this chunky version is big on flavor. This recipe has lower fat while maintaining taste and texture by using reduced-fat (but not fat-free) milk and cheese.
Calories 194 (35% from fat)
Fat 7.6g (sat. 4.8g, mono 1.6g, poly 0.3g)
- - 4 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- - 1 cup chopped onion
- - 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- - 3/4 cup thinly sliced carrot
- - 3 tbsp. butter, cut into small pieces
- - 1 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
- - 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- - 14 oz. vegetable broth
- - 3 garlic cloves, minced
- - 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- - 1 /12 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- - 7 tbsp. shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- - Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
1. Place first 9 ingredients in a 4 1/2-quart electric slow cooker, stir well. Cover and cook on LOW 6 to 7 hours or until vegetables are tender. Increase heat to HIGH.
2. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a bowl; gradually add milk, stirring with a whish until well blended. Stir into soup. Cook, uncovered, 25 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Ladle soup into individual bowls, and sprinkle with cheese and additional pepper, if desired.