Ale-Braised Steak with Parsnips and Mushrooms
- 12 oz / 375 g cremini or white mushrooms
- 2 tbsp / 30 mL all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp / 2 mL (approx) black pepper
- 3/4 tsp / 4 mL (approx) salt
- 3 lb / 1.5 kg inside or outside round or top sirloin steak
- 3 tbsp / 45 mL butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only), diced
- 1 small stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp / 15 mL grated gingerroot
- 2 tsp / 10 mL chopped fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp/4 mL dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp / 1 mL each ground cloves and nutmeg
- 2 tbsp / 30 mL vegetable oil
- 2 cups / 500 mL dark ale or stout
- 3/4 tsp / 4 mL beef stock concentrate or half beef bouillon cube, or 2 tsp/10 mL soy sauce
- 3 large parsnips, cut in large chunks
- 1/3 cup / 75 mL finely chopped parsley
•Twist stems off mushrooms; setting caps aside, finely dice stems. In bowl, whisk together flour, pepper and 1/4 tsp/1 mL of the salt; add steak and roll to coat.
•In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; sauté onion, leek, celery and mushroom stems until vegetables are softened and onion begins to brown. Add garlic, bay leaf, ginger, thyme nutmeg and remaining salt; sauté until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute, and scrape into Dutch oven. Add oil to skillet and increase heat to high; brown both sides of steak. Transfer to pot. Pour off and discard fat from skillet; add ale and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from bottom of pan. Stir in beef stock concentrate; boil for 1 minute. Pour into pot; add parsnips and bring to boil. Cover and transfer to 350°F/180°C oven; braise until meat and parsnips are tender, 11/2 to 2 hours.
•Meanwhile, fry mushroom caps in remaining butter and pinch each of the salt and pepper until browned and almost tender; set aside.
•Transfer steak and parsnips to warmed serving platter; keep warm. In pot over medium-high heat, add mushrooms to pan juices and boil until mushrooms are tender; remove bay leaf and stir in parsley. Slice meat; spoon sauce and mushrooms over slices. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: about 372 cal, 40 g pro, 14 g total fat (6 g sat. fat), 20 g carb, 3 g fibre, 87 mg chol, 382
You'll also love
- Famous Dave's Drunken Apples 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crusty Cauliflower and Ricotta... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Chicken Stroganoff (Weight... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken, Mushroom and Cashew... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Leek, Potato, Parsnip and... 4/5 (4 Votes)
- Chicken, Shrimp and Steak Stir Fry 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Chicken Fried Steak 0/5 (0 Votes)