Spicy Bacon Cowboy Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs Ground Beef, combination of top round and brisket is our favorite
- 6 strips (300g) Bacon, diced
- 1 lrg Sweet Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 -2 Habaneros, finely diced
- 1 c (237ml) BBQ Sauce
- 2 t (10g) Cayenne Pepper
- 2 t (10g) Chili Powder
- 2 t (10g) ground Cumin
- 2 T (30g) Paprika
- 2 T (30g) Brown Sugar
- 1 t (5g) fresh cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 c (30g) Masa (corn flour), addition inspired by Pioneer Woman’s Chili Recipe
- 1 12 oz Beer
1. Heat a large sauce pan (preferably cast iron) over med-high heat. Add ground beef and bacon and cook until it is nearly cooked through and browned, stirring occasionally. Next add onion, garlic and habaneros and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until onions start to soften.
2. Add BBQ sauce, spices, brown sugar, fresh cracked pepper, masa and beer. Stir to combine, bring to a simmer, then lower heat to keep at a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 min – 1 hour, (flavors will develop more with the longer cooking time but isn’t a requirement) adding more beer or water if necessary to maintain a good “moistness” to the chili.
3. Serve the chili warm. Serving suggestions – Toppings- cheese, sour cream, diced green onions. As a base or alongside – tortilla chips, crusty bread, in a quesadilla, on fries, over a sausage dog or burger, as a pizza sauce, with pasta… The variations are endless!