Ham, Potato and Swiss Casserole
- 2 pounds medium red boiling potatoes, cut into medium dice
- 1 ½ pounds of ham, cut into medium dice
- 11/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small onion, cut into small dice
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 4 ounces shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 400°.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add potatoes. Cook until tender but still firm, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and combine with the ham and parsley in a large heat resistant bowl. Set aside.
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add flour and stir until well blended. Slowly add milk and whisk together. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and continue to simmer and stir sauce until it is the consistency of a thick cream soup, about 2 minutes. Pour over ham mixture; toss to coat.
Pour into greased 9”x13” baking dish, cover with foill and bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle top with cheeses, turn on broiler and broil until cheese is browned, about 5 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving.