Lemon & Basil Sorbetto
At Cookism we say, 'When Life gives you lemons, make lemon sorbetto'. I mean, what better way to fight the merciless scorch of summer?This classic is so refreshingly electrifying and full of citrus zing, it's the perfect get-up-and-go. The incorporation of lemon and basil leaves also prove to be a match made in heaven, like John Lennon and Yoko Ono. Let the brain freeze begin!
- 200 ml of Water
- 170 g of Caster Sugar
- 150 ml of Lemon Juice (about 3 to 4 lemons)
- 5 g of Basil Leaves (about 1/2 cup)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
Adapted from cookism.tumblr.com
1. Add sugar and water into a large saucepan.
2. Place the saucepan over low heat and bring it to a boil, whisking frequently. Once the syrup starts boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for additional 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.
3. Remove saucepan from heat. Add in basil leaves and allow it to steep for 10 minutes, stirring once in a while. Strain syrup and remove the leaves. Set syrup aside and allow it to cool to room temperature. Takes about 30 minutes.
4. Add lemon juice and zest into the syrup. Whisk well. Chill mixture thoroughly to at least 4C and below.
5. Freeze mixture in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Pour churned sorbet into a tub and freeze for a few hours to firm up!
6. Garnish with basil leaves and lemon zest. Ready to serve!