Romaine And Arugula Salad With Toasted Seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds (preferably black and white)
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely-grated lemon peel - (packed)
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large romaine lettuce head torn bite size
- 4 cups baby arugula leaves
Combine all seeds in heavy small skillet. Add large pinch of salt. Cook over low heat until white sesame seeds are pale golden, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Using potato masher, press mixture in skillet until coriander seeds are coarsely crushed.
Place lemon juice and peel in small bowl. Whisk in olive oil. Season dressing with salt and pepper. (Seeds and dressing can be made 8 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
Combine romaine and arugula in large bowl. Add dressing and half of seeds; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining seeds and serve.
This recipe yields 8 servings.