Almond Flour Banana Bread
makes one 9″ x 5″ loaf pan
- 3 cups almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons freshly ground chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 very ripe bananas, about 3/4 cup mashed
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup honey (or maple syrup, for vegans)
- coconut oil, for greasing pan
Adapted from detoxinista.com
Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan well.
Using a coffee or spice grinder, grind the chia seeds first, then measure what you need for the recipe. (I measured out 1/4 cup of seeds before grinding, which turned out to be more than what I needed after they were ground.)
Mix 1/4 cup of the ground chia seeds with 3/4 cup water, and allow to sit in the fridge for 15 minutes to gel into “chia eggs.”
Combine the rest of the ingredients in a medium bowl, add the chilled chia eggs, and mix well until a batter is formed. Transfer to the greased loaf pan, and use a spatula to smooth the top.
Bake for 35-45 minutes, until the golden brown and when a knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.