Macaroni & Cheese, German Style
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound sausage or kielbasa, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup King Arthur flour
- 2 cups milk
- 4 teaspoons mustard, German style
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 cups Swiss cheese, shredded
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 55mins
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook the elbow macaroni until al dente. Drain thoroughly and set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until browned. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
Melt remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in the pan. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft. Stir in flour and cook until bubbly. Remove from the heat and slowly add the milk. Return to the heat and cook, stirring until the sauce starts to boil and begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in the caraway seeds,white pepper and drained macaroni. Stir until well mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour half the macaroni mixture into a buttered, shallow 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Evenly distribute half the sausage and then half the cheese over the macaroni. Layer on the remaining macaroni, then sausage and then cheese.
Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degree oven until cheese is bubbly and the center of the casserole is hot, about 25 minutes.
You'll also love
- Christmas Corn Casserole 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blueberry Muffin Old School 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Arugula Pesto Pasta with Ricotta... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- SHRIMP PASTA SALAD WITH GREEN... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Morel Mushroom Ravioli 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Dove Ravioli With Tomato-Basil... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Low Sodium Macaroni & Cheese 3.3/5 (10 Votes)