Classic Macaroni and Cheese (America's Test Kitchen)
- 2 Cups Panko breach crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces (cold)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat broiler.
Bring 4 quarts water to boil in Dutch oven over high heat.
Add macaroni and 1 tablespoon salt; cook until pasta is tender; drain and set aside in colander.
In now empty Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat until foaming.
Add flour, mustard, and cayenne and whisk well to combine.
Continue whisking until mixture becomes fragrant and deepens in color, about 1 minute.
Gradually whisk in milk; bring mixture to boil, whisking constantly (mixture must reach full boil to fully thicken).
Reduce heat to medium and simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened to consistency of heavy cream, about 5 minutes.
Off heat, whisk in cheeses and 1 teaspoon salt until cheeses are fully melted.
Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is steaming and heated through, about 6 minutes.
Transfer mixture to broiler safe 9 by 13" baking dish and sprinkle evenly with bread crumb mixture.
Broil until crumbs are deep golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes, rotating pan if necessary for even browning.
Cool about 5 minutes, then serve.
You'll also love
- Baked Garlic Lemon Pickerel 3.3/5 (125 Votes)
- ORANGE SOAK CAKE 3.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Linguine With Spicy Red Clam Sauce 3.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Copeland's Of New Orleans' Chicken... 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Rigatoni "d" (Maggiano's) 3.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Ring Macaroni Salad with Baby... 3.7/5 (10 Votes)
Review this recipe