Fresh Country Pork Sausage With Pepper And Sage
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder cut 1" cubes, and chilled
- 1 pound fresh pork fat cut 1" pieces, and chilled
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Combine 1/3 pork and 1/3 pork fat in processor. Using on/off turns, process mixture until finely ground. Transfer to large bowl. Repeat with remaining pork and pork fat in 2 more batches. Sprinkle water, sage, salt, and red and black pepper over pork. Using moistened hands, mix sausage just until blended. Wrap sausage in plastic and chill. (Sausage can be prepared up to 3 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.)
Form sausage into 3-inch-diameter patties. Heat heavy large skillet over medium heat. Fry patties in batches until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels; keep warm. Transfer to platter and serve.
This recipe yields 28 three-inch patties.