Tuscan Garlic Chicken
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips or chopped
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup lowfat milk
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound fettucini noodles
Adapted from therecipecritic.com
1. Preheat oven to 350. Combine the flour, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano. Dip each chicken breast in the flour mixture and coat well.
2. In a large skillet, heat 3 Tablespoons oil until hot. Carefully place the breaded chicken in the oil until each side is golden brown. Don't cook all the way through.
3. On a cookie sheet, line with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Place the chicken breasts on the cookie sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until cooked through. Set aside until ready to use.
4. While the chicken is cooking, in a large pot cook the fettucini noodles according to package directions. Wipe the skillet with some paper towels and add the remaining 2 T olive oil. Cook the chopped red pepper and garlic for about 2-3 minutes. Stir in 1 T of flour and stir constantly for one minute.
5. Add the chicken broth and bring to a light simmer while whisking constantly until it is starting to thicken. This takes about 3-4 minutes.
6. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and cornstarch. Add the spinach, cream, and milk to the skillet. Bring this to a simmer and continue to cook until spinach starts to wilt. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
7. Add half of the sauce to the coating the cooked and drained fettucini noodles. Top with breaded chicken and spoon more of the sauce on top. Enjoy!