Easy to make Caponata is a perfect appetizer with terrific mix of flavors. Serve with crackers or crusty bread.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and diced (1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 can tomato paste (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 can black olives, drained and sliced
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- 1 oz dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Place eggplant in colander and sprinkle with salt. Let sit and drain for 30 minutes.
Saute onion and celery in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft. Set aside in a bowl.
Saute eggplant in 2 tablespoons olive oil until soft. Add onion and celery, red pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, vinegar, seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook (covered) on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add black olives, capers and dark chocolate. Heat until chocolate is melted.
Cool and serve with remaining olive oil drizzled over the top.
You'll also love
- Chiffon Pumpkin Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Almond Toast 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sautéed Cabbage with Fennel and... 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Italian Deviled Eggs 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Beef Tacos & Radish Salsa with... 1/5 (1 Votes)
- Spiked Autumn Salad Baked Brie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken Thighs with Tomato, Orzo,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crumbed Eggplant 0/5 (0 Votes)