Individual Pear And Maple Cobblers
- 3 pounds ripe Barlett pears peeled, quartered, and cored
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour plus
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg - (generous)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter - (3/4 stick) cut 1/2" pieces
- 9 tablespoons half-and-half
- 9 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melted butter
- Ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
- Additional pure maple syrup
For Filling: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut pears crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Combine in large bowl with maple syrup, flour, vanilla extract and ground nutmeg. Divide among six 2/3-cup custard cups of souffle dishes. Dot tops with butter. Bake filling until hot and bubbling, about 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, Prepare Topping: Mix first 3 ingredients in processor. Add 6 tablespoons chilled butter and cut in until mixture resembles fine meal. Transfer to large bowl. Mix half-and-half, 6 tablespoons syrup and vanilla in another bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Working quickly, drop batter in three mounds, 1 heaping tablespoon per mound, atop hot filling in each cup. Brush topping with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and nutmeg. Immediately return cups to oven and bake 8 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 degrees. and bake until toppings are golden and just firm to touch, about 14 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes.
In medium bowl, beat 1 cup chilled cream with 3 tablespoons maple syrup to soft peaks. Serve cobblers warm with whipped cream. Drizzle additional maple syrup over.
This recipe yields 6 servings.