Jimmy's Favorite Garlic Bread
- Garlic Butter:
- 2 bulbs garlic, each about 3 or 4 ounces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Tomato Basil Salsa:
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes (about 4)
- 3 tablespoons basil, cut into strips
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 sourdough bread loaf (about 1-3/4 pounds), cut in half lengthwise
- 4 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees . Slice tops off of garlic bulbs and drizzle each with 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
While garlic is roasting, prepare Garlic Butter:
2. In a medium-size bowl, combine butter, Parmesan, crushed garlic, Italian seasoning, parsley and red pepper flakes. Refrigerate.
Prepare Tomato Basil Salsa:
3. In a medium-size saute pan over medium heat combine oil and garlic. Cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and heat through. Stir in basil, salt and pepper and remove from heat.
4. Remove roasted garlic from oven, unwrap foil and cool. Once cooled, squeeze cloves from papery skin. Set aside.
5. Spread 1/2 cup garlic butter over bread (reserve remaining 1/2 cup for another use). Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until browned. Top with tomato salsa, roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Slice into pieces and serve.