Shaq's Macaroni & Cheese
By scratch cook
This is NBA star Shaquille O'Neal's recipe for mac and cheese. Very rich and creamy with a nice crunch added from the baked in bread crumbs on top. A slam dunk for sure!
- 1 (16-ounce)) box elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) margarine, or butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 1 (16-ounce) package Velveeta cheese, diced
- 1 (16-ounce) package sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni with oil and salt until al dente. Drain.
In a large saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add 1 cup milk and egg. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in Velveeta cheese and half the cheddar; cook on low heat until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. If sauce is too thick, stir in up to ½ cup milk.
Add cooked macaroni to sauce. Stir over low heat for 1 minute. Taste and add extra salt, if necessary
Pour mixture into a large greased casserole dish or baking pan. Top with remaining cheddar and bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until top and bottom are browned. Cool slightly, cut, and enjoy!
You can substitute Monterey Jack, Gouda, or mild cheddar for all or part of the sharp cheddar.
You'll also love
- Upside-Down Caramelized Apple Cake 4.7/5 (14 Votes)
- BARON OF BEEF SPICY MUSTARD 4/5 (23 Votes)
- Blueberry & Cream Cheese Galette 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Easy Creamy Swiss Chicken Bake 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Beef Pot Roast - Instant Pot 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Shrimp pasta with arugula,... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Tortellini Caesar Pasta Salad 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Penne ham skillet 4.7/5 (12 Votes)